Edith Frayne arrested, charged with attempted murder in a shoving incident at Toronto subway station

Toronto Police. Twitter handle of Toronto Police

Toronto Police. Image credit: Twitter handle

CMEDIA: Toronto police have reportedly arrested and charged a suspect with attempted murder after a woman was pushed onto the tracks at a subway station Sunday evening.

In a news release, police said they arrested a woman, 45, at Finch GO station on Monday at about 6:20 p.m.

She has been charged with attempted murder and is due to appear at the College Park courts on Tuesday at 10 a.m.

On Monday, hours after police issued a surveillance image of the suspect in an effort to identify her, they reported that they arrested the suspect at Finch Go Station on Monday at around 6:18 p.m.

Edith Frayne, a 45-year-old Toronto resident, is now facing one count of attempted murder. She will attend court on Tuesday at College Park, police said. 

According to the police, the victim, 39, survived by pressing herself against the subway platform to avoid being hit by an oncoming train.

Nevertheless, she was seriously injured in the fall on Sunday evening and has since been released from the hospital,

Emergency crews were called to the Bloor-Yonge station shortly after 9 p.m. on Sunday. The victim was rushed to a trauma centre, where she was listed in stable condition on Monday morning.

Const. David Hopkinson, the spokesperson for the Toronto Police Service, was reported to say that the woman suffered “a fairly serious injury” from falling onto the tracks but managed to squeeze into a crawlspace just in time to avoid the train.

In a statement on Monday morning, a spokesperson for the Toronto Transit Commission said the transit agency is “shocked by this horrific attack.”

“Our thoughts are with the victim for a quick and full recovery,” Stuart Green said.

“We will, as always, give our full cooperation to Toronto Police as they investigate this troubling incident. We are also supporting our employees who were on the incident train with counselling services.”

Toronto Mayor John Tory called the incident a “shocking attack.”

“I am thankful the victim survived and is recovering in hospital,” Tory said in a statement Monday.

On Monday afternoon, Toronto Mayor John Tory issued a statement in response to the incident, calling it “a shocking attack.”

“I am also assured that the dedicated transit workers who were on duty when this incident occurred are receiving support as required,” he said.

“The TTC is safe and must remain safe and I will be following up on this incident to make sure the TTC and its partners, including the police service, is doing everything possible to protect the safety of riders and transit employees.”

#Toronto; #TorontoPolice; #EdithFrayne; #Arrested