#Australia, #SteveSmith, #DavidWarner
Sydney/IBNS: Senior Australian batter Steve Smith threw his name into the hat for the opener’s role soon set to be available following David Warner’s retirement.
Smith confirmed that he was keen to take up a new challenge in Tests if the selectors need him to after Warner’s retirement post the ongoing Test in Sydney against Pakistan.
Speaking to the ABC Grandstand after the third day’s play at the SCG, Smith said that he was “interested” in going to the top of the order if the team and the selectors are keen on the same, an ICC report said.
“I’m actually happy to go up the top,” Smith said.
“I’m pretty keen to open in Tests if that’s what they want to do. I’m sure the selectors and Ron Andrew McDonald and Patty (Pat Cummins) will have a chat after this game but yeah, I’m certainly interested for sure,” he said.
Former Australian all-rounder Shane Watson had said earlier in the week that he “liked the idea of Steve Smith opening”.
“Steve Smith opening the batting, he has got the technique, is the challenge he needs,” Watson told the media.
Current Australian teammate Alex Carey too mirrored Watson’s views on Friday, stating that Smith “can bat wherever he wants”.
“He’s probably proven in his career, whatever challenge is thrown at him he has found a way to succeed,” Alex said.
“We’ve got some great openers doing a fantastic job. Obviously a few other names are thrown out there,” he said.
“‘Smudge (Smith) putting his hat in the ring, if he was to get the call-up he would do a great job. He’s faced the new ball a few times,” Alex added.
Cameron Bancroft, Marcus Harris, Cameron Green and Matt Renshaw are all options currently to replace Warner with the series against West Indies coming up later this month.
Now with Smith in the mix and Marnus Labuschagne another unexplored option, Australia have a problem of plenty in hand.
The home series against West Indies will begin from January 17.