IBNS-CMEDIA: India on Monday condemned the drone strike on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), calling it a “dangerous escalation” and urging restraint amid rising regional tensions
In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said, “India is deeply concerned at the attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the UAE.” It added that such actions are “unacceptable” and represent a serious escalation of the situation.
The ministry further called for calm and stressed the need for a return to “dialogue and diplomacy” to de-escalate tensions in the region.
According to Abu Dhabi authorities, a fire broke out in an external electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra region following a reported drone strike. The incident has heightened concerns across the region.
Officials confirmed that no injuries were reported and that there was no impact on radiological safety levels, as reported by Gulf News. They added that all precautionary measures were immediately implemented.
Dr Anwar Gargash, Diplomatic Adviser to the UAE President, condemned the attack in a post on X, describing it as a “dangerous escalation” and a “dark scene” that violates international laws and norms, while warning against threats to civilian lives and regional stability.
The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs also termed the incident an “unacceptable act of aggression,” though authorities have not disclosed the origin of the drone attack. The UAE has previously accused Iran of targeting its energy and economic infrastructure since the escalation of regional tensions in February.
The Abu Dhabi Media Office stated that the Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR) confirmed the fire did not affect the plant’s safety or the readiness of its critical systems, and that all units are operating normally. It also urged the public to rely on official sources and avoid spreading rumours or unverified information.
In a separate statement on X, the UAE Ministry of Defence said its air defence systems intercepted three UAVs that entered from the western border on May 17, 2026. It added that two drones were neutralised, while the third struck an electrical generator outside the nuclear plant’s inner perimeter.
Investigations are underway to determine the source of the attack. The ministry reiterated that the UAE remains fully prepared to counter any threats and will take firm action to safeguard national security, sovereignty, and stability.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said it is closely monitoring the situation and remains in constant contact with UAE authorities, offering assistance if required.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump warned Iran that “the clock is ticking,” urging swift progress in ongoing negotiations, which remain stalled. In a post on Truth Social, he said time was running out for Tehran.
Earlier, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly spoke with Trump ahead of a limited security discussion in Israel. According to The Times of Israel, the leaders discussed the broader regional situation, including the possibility of renewed conflict and recent diplomatic developments.

